Google Instant search is a search feature which displays shows results as you type. Google claims that by predicting your search and showing results before you finish typing, Google Instant can save 2-5 seconds per search.
What today happened with me was really annoying and the same could be problematic for anyone. To test this, start tying “How to “ and .. my god .. smart Google ( which they claims) has predicted “How to kiss” and displayed the results instantly. Inline images enhancement added some more fuel to it. I could see some to some kissing images .. eh .. that’s too bad, at least when I am at work. I really did not wanted to search that. Instead, I was searching "how to upload find using ajax”, a simple programming solution at the Google.
One might claim that I should have turned on the safe search feature. Try that and you will find you are looking for “How to get pregnant”. Totally absurd!
Some of the FAQ at Google instant page with my views
- Before Google Instant, the typical searcher took more than 9 seconds to enter a search term, and we saw many examples of searches that took 30-90 seconds to type.
* It hardly matters to me. Google Instant poses more distraction with absurd predictions.
- Using Google Instant can save 2-5 seconds per search.
* Same as above.
- If everyone uses Google Instant globally, we estimate this will save more than 3.5 billion seconds a day. That’s 11 hours saved every second.
* More unnecessary searches and more consumption of energy.
- 15 new technologies contribute to Google Instant functionality.
* It hardly matters to more than 95% of the users what technology they are using.
How to turn off Google Instant
Visit Google search preferences and turn of by selecting the last option.
No doubt Google is the very much needed to day to day activities. But, too many search enhancements are probably killing the search engine. They should have a separate version free from all enhancements.