When you try to change the hosts file or the Lmhosts file in Microsoft Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you may get an error message saying
“Access to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ hosts was denied”
This is just because of enhanced security features given in new OS’s. You will require admin rights to run do this.
To edit hosts file follow below steps :
- Goto Start –> All Programs --> Accessories, right-click Notepad, and then click Run as administrator.
- If asked for the password enter the same and click Allow or Yes
- In Notepad Goto File –> Open
- Browse folder "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc" .
- Change the file filter drop down box to show "All Files (*.*)"
- Open "hosts" file and do the necessary changes and save it.